About

Seven Quarts Tavern

The name Seven Quarts Tavern chosen by the owners refers to the 1656 purchase of local land from Chief Asharoken of the Matinecock Indian tribe by three Englishmen. Three Englishmen purchased the land known as Great Cow Harbor for seven quarts of liquor, two coats, four shirts and eleven ounces of powder. In the mid 1600’s, the settlers and Indians had friendly relations and the transfer of land in exchange for these items helped the farming and shell-fishing blossom.

WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING

The owners read about the history of Northport and the story of Great Cow Harbor for inspiration to name the Tavern. They gravitated to the seven quarts name in the story featured here to stay true to the roots of the Northport community. Read more